hammills

After all the rain that has deluged the country the River Cart is in full flow and making the Hammills area all flooded, we stood to the side to get the drone into a safe place and then skimmed the water up and down the Cart around the Hammill’s, we even seen Paisley’s Heron who was sitting chilling on one of the rocks..

It is an impressive sight to see, we were there just after seven this morning so nobody around and the place to ourselves..

cobbler

The Cobbler which was one of my favourite wee walks to get the stamina up before something more challenging, taken from Loch Long before approaching Arrochar. The Cobbler is a mountain of 884 metres height located near the head of Loch Long in Scotland. Although only a Corbett, it is “one of the most impressive summits in the Southern Highlands”, and is also the most important site for rock climbing in the Southern Highlands.

cobbler

 

rest-be-thankful

The Rest and Be Thankful with the road works still in operation (avoid on a busy day at the mo) The A83 is a major road in the south of Argyll and Bute, Scottish Highlands, running from Tarbet, on the western shore of Loch Lomond, where it splits from the A82, to Campbeltown at the southern end of the Kintyre peninsula

rest-be-thankful

hammills

A little walk about the White Cart River and caught some rays whilst enjoying a couple of days of the beautiful sun over the town. Caught the three signets with their mum and dad on their travels, just stunning, even a fly fisherman at the Hammills. Lovely wee relaxing stroll..

grown-in-glenburn

The allotments at Glen Park, Grow in Glenburn, Gleniffer Braes. The Grow in Glenburn patch is as busy as ever.

castlehead-high

Castlehead High School where literally thousands of pupils and people have went through the doors and came out older and wiser, The site of the former Camphill High School which was relocated to Foxbar, Castlehead has seen many a generation pass through its doors & Castlehead Church where its now converted into luxury flats, just behind the church is the resting place of Paisley Poet Robert Tannahill.

thomas coats memorial church

When all the groups in Paisley come together we really can do magic, great to work with so many people over the last year (the last few months have been great) Thanks to Brick Lane and that includes us as well as the tons of folk mentioned by Brick Lane, Ian Henderson and the Coats Trust are all just fantastic. This song makes me very happy at the outcome and Thomas Coats Memorial will be around longer than I will at the very least and our very own Paulo Nutini will be proud his song was used for the good of the town.

Dargavel House

The oldest part of the existing Dargavel House is a Z plan tower house built by the Maxwells of Dargavel who acquired the property by 1514. MacGibbon and Ross illustrate a 1584 panel with Maxwell coat of arms and initials, but Nigel Tranter describes it as renewed although it is not extant in c.1890 photographs held at RCAHMS. Its whereabouts are unknown. There is a 1670 dated sundial on the southwest tower. MacGibbon and Ross illustrate a plan by David Bryce. The plan consisted of two cellars and a kitchen on the lowest floor with the main stair in the southwest tower leading to the hall and chamber on the floor above. A secondary staircase accessed the chambers on the floor above.

In 1849 John Hall Maxwell commissioned a new wing to the northwest of the original building from David Bryce the completion of which was commemorated in a dormer head dated 1851 with the initials of Mr and Mrs Maxwell in the adjacent dormer heads. The new block contained a new entrance, staircase and service accommodation on the ground floor. The two principal reception rooms were designed on the first floor with the drawing room opening into a corner bay window. The original great hall was converted into the principal bedroom suite and the original chamber became a boudoir. The latter retains an elaborated mid 19th-century plaster ceiling. The floor above contained suites of bedrooms with servants’ accommodation in the attic. Service accommodation had already been added to the south of the original tower as shown in the MacGibbon and Ross illustrations.

In 1910 Peter MacGregor Chalmers was employed to alter and extend the house. He added a new stair tower in the re-entrant angle between the original house and the Bryce staircase, added a new entrance porch, extended the south service range and added a large two storey bay window. Chalmers created a dining room opening into the new bay, a library and remodelled the entrance hall on the ground floor of the Bryce block with new fireplaces and panelling. The original dining room on the floor above was refitted and also opens into the new bay and the adjacent drawing room was remodelled with a new fireplace and cornice. The first floor of the original house was opened up into a single space with a large new fireplace. A beamed ceiling was inserted but the Bryce plaster ceiling over the eastern portion of the new room was retained. The bedrooms on the floors above remained little altered but new bathrooms with elaborate tiling were installed. Peter MacGregor Chalmers exhibited his designs for Dargavel in 1912.

The castle was used for meetings and training when it became part of the defence industry site during the 20th century. In January 2012 its future is uncertain.

Information from RCAHMS (STG)
https://canmore.org.uk/site/43111/bishopton-dargavel-house

bishopton-rof

The Royal Ordnance Factory was a WW2 Ministry of Supply Explosive Factory. It is sited adjacent to the village of Bishopton in Renfrewshire, Scotland. The factory was built to manufacture the propellant cordite for the British Army and the Royal Air Force. It also later produced cordite for the Royal Navy. The Ministry of Works were responsible for the site. It was the biggest munitions factory the MOD had, with up to 20,000 workers.

 

Click to Subscribe to the Channel.

anchor mills

At the so-called birthplace of Paisley (Pasley or Pasleth) lies a small waterfall we call the Hammills which is where Saint Miren has said to have created a settlement nearby. The Hammills are part of the White Cart River which flows into the centre of Paisley and was once an important part of the mill Industry with it flowing past the Anchor Mill which you can see and has now been converted to flats, with business premises on the bottom floors. You can see the glass roof which gives lots of light down into the Atrium Below which any community group can use.

Video of the Anchor Mills: